CALIFORNIA POTTERY INDEX - VINTAGE CALIFORNIA POTTERY, DINNERWARE, CERAMICS, FIGURINES - INCLUDING TWIN WINTON POTTERY
California Pottery Index Banner

Twin Winton Pottery

Twin Winton Ceramics was started by twin brothers Don and Ross Winton in Pasadena in 1936. While still in high school the twins, along with partner Helen Burke, had a profitable business making and selling clay cartoon animals. In 1939 the brothers opened their own studio in Tujunga continuing with the small animal figurines. Twin Winton moved back to Pasadena in 1942, but the next year the brothers enlisted for the military and operations ceased until 1946.
After the war the Twin Winton business was re-established, now at a factory in south Pasadena and along with older brother Bruce. The popular Twin Winton Hillbilly line was introduced in 1947. The line featured hand-painted figures of Ozark Mountain boys along with a wood-grain effect under glaze and was such a success that the company relocated to a larger plant on North Fair Oaks in Pasadena. (br>In 1952 Don and Ross sold their company to older brother Bruce and Don became the only designer for Twin Winton. He was freelancing for Twin Winton, along with many other local companies. The pottery moved to El Monte in 1953 and the popular series of woodtone finish cookie jars was launched. In 1964 Twin Winton made a final move to the old Brad Keeler plant in San Juan Capistrano where it remained until closing in 1975. ©CPI

Continue Searching:
Custom Search

Twin Winton Pottery

California Pottery Index ©2009